- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Coed Sports
- Inside Athletics
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – In its first dual match of the fall season, the University of St. Francis women's tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision at Bethel (Ind.) College Thursday afternoon.
After Bethel (2-3) swept the doubles competition, the Saints won four of the first five completed singles contests to even the match score at 4-4.
Senior Princess Clemente (Tinley Park, Ill./ Andrew) and sophomore Danielle Hoffman (Tinley Park, Ill./ Andrew) picked up the Saints' first two wins. Clemente won at No. 1 when her opponent retired in the second set, while Hoffman won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2.
Following a USF loss at No. 4 singles, senior Anne-Christine Tompkins (New Lenox, Ill./ Lincoln-Way Central) and sophomore Ashley Golda (Manhattan, Ill./ Lincoln-Way Central) both rallied for three-set victories. Tompkins outlasted her opponent 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3, and Golda won 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 6.
In the deciding match, Bethel's Samantha Lukas defeated USF sophomore Ewelina Szwed (Romeoville, Ill./ Romeoville) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 to give the Pilots the 5-4 victory.
USF returns to action at the ITA Regionals Sept. 13-15.
1. Princess Clemente (USF) def. Molly O'Grady (BCIN) 6-1, 1-0, retired
2. Danielle Hoffman (USF) def. Bethany Blodgett (BCIN) 6-1, 6-1
3. Anne-Chris. Tompkins (USF) def. Stephani Sterrett (BCIN) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Melissa Ramer (BCIN) def. Leah Fuessel (USF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Samantha Lukas (BCIN) def. Ewelina Szwed (USF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Ashley Golda (USF) def. Taryn Johnson (BCIN)
1. Bethany Blodgett/Molly O'Grady (BCIN) def. Princess Clemente/Anne-Chris. Tompkins (USF) 8-6
2. Melissa Ramer/Stephani Sterrett (BCIN) def. Leah Fuessel/Danielle Hoffman (USF) 8-5
3. Taryn Johnson/Kelsey Stichter (BCIN) def. Ewelina Szwed/Devan Trueba (USF) 8-2